Translate This Page
Property for sale
scroll down to see the property for sale
You found a place under the Portuguese sun, you want to call your own? Follow these steps to buy a property in Portugal:
- Agree on the price with the seller
- Get a Personal Fiscal Number (Numero Fiscal de Contribuinte) from the local Tax office (Finanças). You only need proof of identity to get one if you are from a member state of the EU. If you are from outside the EU, you need a Fiscal Representative for this.
- Contact a solicitador (does conveyancing, has no degree) or advogado (lawyer with a Dr. title) to help you with the process. He/she will collect all necessary papers and make sure that the property is registered and free of all liens. Choose an independant legal representative to make sure your best interest is being taken care of.
- Open a bank account in Portugal.
- Have your lawyer draw up a Promessa de Compra e Venda (Promissory Contract).
- Pay the agreed deposit (10-20%) and agree on a date to complete the purchase. The deposit is non-refundable! If the seller does not keep his side of the bargain, he must repay double the deposit value.
- For completion of the sale (Escritura Publica de Compra e Venda) you sign the deed at a Notary or give power of attorney to your legal representative to sign on your behalf. Also this is the time to pay the balance of the purchase price.
- The contract has to be registered at the Land Registry Office (Conservatoria do Registo Predial) and the local Tax Office. Usually your legal representative will do this. Now you are the official owner of the property.
What does it cost to buy a property in Portugal?
- A lawyer charges about 1,5 % of the selling price
- Stamp Tax - 0.8% of the selling price
- The Transfer Tax (Imposto Municipal sobre Transmissçao Onerose de Imóveis - IMT) depends on the selling price as well as on the fact if you will use the property as your residency or not. If you are coming to live here and register as a resident, these are the numbers:
- until €92.407 - 0%
- until €126.403 - 2%, with a deduction of €1.848,14
- until €172.348 - 5%, with a deduction of €5.640,23
- until €287.213 - 7%, with a deduction of €9.087,19
- until €574.323 - 8%, with a deduction of €11.959,32
- Over €574.323 - 6% flat rate
- For non-permanent occupation, the amounts for deduction are lower.
- For land only it is 5% and for urban property, not for habitation, it is 6,5%
What documents do you need?
- Certidão de Teor from the Conservatoria do Registo Predial (Land Registry) - valid for 6 months
- Cadernetta Predial from the Tax Office - valid for 1 year
- Licença de Habitação from the Council (Camera) for houses built after 1951. If the house (or ruin) is older you need a document from the Camera that states this and exempts you from a habitation license.
- Ficha Tecnica de Habitação for houses built after 30.03.2004
- Energy certificate (valid for 10 years)
Good to know:
- If the property costs less than €236.000 AND you are resident in Portugal, you may claim exemption of Local Council Tax (IMI) for up to 7 years. You have to claim this within 60 days after purchase at the local Tax Office.
- Although your legal representative will check the legal title of the property, it is recommended that you make sure that papers and reality are matching. Make sure you know where the borders of the property end. It is very important that the property is registered at both the Conservatoria do Registo Predial and the Finanças (Fiscal Office) in the name of the seller and that it does not carry any onuses or liabilities.
- If you buy rural land - prédio rustica or misto(urban in rustic land) - the neighbours have priority in buying this land. Make sure they have been given this opportunity by the seller, before you buy.
- Land and buildings have seperate tax documents.
- If the buying process is very straight forward and there are no doubts on the legal status of the property, then it is also possible to skip the lawyer and notary office. You can go to Casa Pronta at the Conservatoria do Registo Predial. There they do all the checks a lawyer normally does and if all documents are correct, you can sign the deed within a week right at their office. The Head of the Conservatoria acts as a notary. All fees are paid there and then and the only thing left to do is go to the Finanças afterwards with the purchase document and have it (for free) registered at the Tax Office. This procedure is a lot cheaper and faster.
Real estate for sale in the central Algarve and south Alentejo
Beautifully refurbished farmhouse near S.B. de Messines
Beautifully refurbished farm house in quiet rural area near S.B. de Messines. The house is 233 m2 and the plot size is 8400 m2. Most of the garden is fenced and there is a very nice private pond, which has water all year round. There is mains electricity and a private well for water.
The main house has 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, fully fitted kitchen with dining room, lounge with beautiful fire place, large covered terrace and outside BBQ area. There is a small plunge pool to cool down. Furthermore there is a large garage/work shop and a seperate guest house with a further bedroom, shower room and living with open kitchen and a closed terrace with country views.
Click on picture to enlarge
Quinta with 7.1 hectares of land, 2 houses and several outbuildings in Fitos, Santana da Serra
Just over the border with the Alentejo, near the tiny hamlet of Fitos (Santana da Serra) in a lovely, peaceful and quiet location with beautiful views on the serra, you may become the new owner of this property. It consists of 2 separate houses, 1 old house in need of refurbishing and 1 new one, ready to move in to. There are several outbuildings, including garages, storage, etc.
The total plot is 7.1 hectares. From the new house you can see as far as the hills of Monchique. There is mains water and electricity! On the bottom of the plot there is a large vegetable garden (horta) with a water well (posso). There are no direct neighbours. There is easy acces with just a short distance over a dirt road. The road leads to the tarmac road connecting Fitos to the IC1.
The old house consists of a smoking room with bread oven, 2 rooms with seperate entrance, the main part with living space, 2 bedrooms, small kitchen and a garage next to it. There is a covered terrace in front and a stable, storage and hay barn on the back side of the house. The total size is 170 m2.
The new house measures 182 m2 and consists of:
- spacious conservatory with extra kitchen, BBQ area, dining area, open fireplace, seperate entrance and large windows.
- very large family kitchen with fitted wooden cabinets
- 2 bathrooms - 1 with bath and 1 with a shower
- 4 bedrooms plus an office which may be used as a 5th bedroom
- large warehouse or garage
- extra storage behind the house.
click on picture to enlarge
Enchanting and very private property near São Marcos da Serra
Enchanting and very private property near São Marcos da Serra. The old house and separate barn are set in 7,5 hectares of rolling hills with lush and diverse vegetation and many cork oak trees. There is a large vegetable plot with 2 wells. You can enjoy beautiful panoramic country views. No direct neighbours. House and separate building to be refurbished. There is mains electricity at the house!
The house is currently 96.5 m2 on a registered urban area of 280 m2. It is divided into 6 rooms. The barn is 36 m2.
Access over a dirt track of about 2 km. The property is located about 8 km from the village of São Marcos da Serra. Enchanting plot for who likes to enjoy the peace and quiet of rural life in the serra of the Algarve.
click on picture to enlarge
Small townhouse in São Marcos da Serra
In the centre of the village of São Marcos da Serra you can buy a small authentic townhouse. It consIsts of a living room 2 bedrooms a kitchen and a shower room. From the kitchen you have a lovely view over the hills of the serra. This property would be very suitable as a vacation house. It measures 55 m2.
Click on picture to enlarge
Quinta near Ourique, South Alentejo, in lovely rural setting
Lovely house in the countryside of the South Alentejo with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms with large open plan kitchen and dining/living room. The lounge has a large wood burner for keeping the house warm and cosy in the winter. Beautifully set in 2.8 hectares of land with its own private lake (barragem) and stream running through the back of the property. There are many cork oak trees which may provide an extra income and also lots of other trees. Furthermore there is a stable block with 2 stables and a tack room and a yard in front, with a large flat area, ideal for schooling horses. Also a wooden chalet with a its own kitchen block and bathroom.
The high ceilings in the kitchen and living area are made from wood. The floors are tiled. Bedroom 1 and 2 share a bathroom. Bedroom 3 has an ensuite bathroom. There is a long covered terrace in front of the house. The house is set in the middle of the plot, so you have no neighbours in sight.
There is connection to the mains electricity, water from a private borehole, very good internet access and mobile reception. The property can be easily reached from the IC1 with just a short dirt track to reach the house. The plot is fully fenced.
The property is in a beautiful rural location, very tranquil but at the same time only 5 minutes away from the town of Ourique which has everything you need, a very large well stocked supermarket, banks, many cafes and restaurants, a public swimming pool, health centre, dentist, crèches, and a very good Primary and Secondary school.
Only 40 minutes from the Algarve and 1.5 hours to the Capital of Lisbon, both of which are also easily accessible by train. The local train station is only a 15 minute drive away and the service is second to none.
click on picture to enlarge
Charming original quinta just outside of Santana da Serra
Beautifully restored Portuguese quinta, set in a 3 000 m² plot with an abundance of olive and fruit trees and a well-maintained mature garden. There is a 8 x 4 m swimming pool with stone-coloured mosaics, reflecting the natural unspoilt Alentejo countryside.
The traditional quinta was built to withstand the heat as well as the cold, providing a comfortable environment in tranquil surroundings. The house has many home comforts whilst retaining its traditional charm and style. It located 1 km along a dirt road, from the authentic village of Santana da Serra which is situated in the south-central Alentejo, just north of the Algarve. It is very well positioned, with easy access from the IC1, the secondary route between Lisbon and Albufeira.
The house has 3 double bedrooms, 2 bathrooms (1 of which is an ensuite), a large kitchen/dining area with wood burner, a separate living room with open fireplace, covered terrace with BBQ area and a large pool terrace. The garden is mature and well maintained. There is mains electricity, water from a borehole and good mobile phone reception.
Click on picture to enlarge
Cottage with land and ruins near locality of Azilheira - São Marcos da Serra
Situated just over the border from the parish of São Marcos da Serra, in São Barnabé, there is a cottage with land and ruins for sale. The house needs work done, but the roof is in good condition and there is a concrete ceiling. The left part of the house has been used as a large smoking room with breadoven. The larger, right part of the house consists of an entrance hall with 4 rooms. There is no bathroom.
There is electricity and telephone connection. The water well was destroyed and needs rebuilding. There is a large piece of fertile flat land at the bottom of the plot. On the other side of the quiet tarmac road is the other part of the plot, with 2 ruins for rebuilding.
Although the A2 motorway can be seen in the far, there is hardly any noise involved. The road where the house is located at, is a very quiet tarmac road. The hamlet of Azilheira has a local café and hosts a monthly market.
Newly renovated cottage in the countryside - Sao Marcos da Serra
Lovely newly renovated cottage in the countryside just 5 minutes outside of the pretty village of São Marcos da Serra and all ready to move in right away. This house is for the largest part built in taipa (rammed earth) and renovated into an airy, modern and comfortable home. The house is very well insulated and has double glazing. All materials used, as well as the technical and electrical work performed, are of a very high quality.
The house is protected by a covered terrace on the south and the west side. In the summer this keeps the house really cool. No need for air conditioning. In the winter the fireplace offers enough heat to keep the house comfortably warm. The living surface is approximately 110 m2 and the total plot is 7960 m2. There is a large vegetable garden just on the other side of the quiet road. There is also the water well which provides the house with water. There is a connection to the mains electricity. Telephone line is nearby.
The house has 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1 utility room, spacious living/dining room, fitted kitchen with electric oven, electric hob, large fridge, dishwasher. On the other side of the house there is a large storage room, that might be turned into an extra bedroom. There are terraces on 3 sides of the house, 2 of them covered. Gated entrance. Access is easy and completely on tarmac roads. Here you can enjoy peace and quiet and breathtaking panoramic views on the countryside.
Extra: all furniture, including TV and fridge, is included in the price!
Asking Price: €195.000
Click on picture to enlarge
Authentic watermill with several buildings - sao marcos da serra
In the quiet countryside of the central Algarve you can find this special plot.
There are several buildings on the plot, including an authentic water mill which was in use until a few years ago. The buildings cover a total of 244 m2 and the total plot is 1840 m2.
The antique equipment used to make flour, is included in the sale. This is the only watermill in the whole council of Silves. It is situated next to the river Odelouca, which runs through São Marcos da Serra.
There is electricity and water (private well) available. Besides the buildings, there is a garden with many olive trees, some peach trees and grapes.
The plot is set in the quiet countryside of Boião, 8 km from the village of São Marcos da Serra in the central Algarve. There is very good access from the IC1 national road connecting Lissabon and Albufeira.
For more information on the parish of São Marcos da Serra, please have a look at saomarcosdaserra.com
Price: € 54.000
Renovated windmill and miller´s cottage - Sao Marcos da Serra
This stunning Windmill located in a remote very quiet area near the pretty village of São Marcos da Serra in the Algarve has been lovingly renovated to a high standard using the original stone and has exceptional views over the Algarve countryside.
The interior ground floor has a bathroom, kitchen, wood burning stove and round grind stone dining table. The upper floor contains the original mechanisms of the windmill, a large bedroom and access to a deck balcony from which sunrise and sunsets can be enjoyed.
Next to the windmill, the original cottage ruin has been renovated to create two semi-detached cottages. Using the same materials as for the windmill and in keeping with local building styles this house features the original stone structure, sourced antique doors and windows, an outdoor deck balcony at the front with uninterrupted views of the valley and a terraced cottage garden with mature cork trees.
There are some smaller ruins on the land which were originally used for livestock and could be transformed into small terraces or further living space. There is great potential for this property to be used either as a unique holiday getaway, a rental retreat, or tourism business.
Facilities: Water is delivered by truck and currently capacity onsite is for 7000 litres (7 tanks of 1000 litres each). There are also plans to create a catchment tank using runoff from the roofs. Electricity runs on solar power and generator. Cooking and hot water is run on gas bottles. It is possible to get an internet connection with a USB stick and there is good mobile phone reception in the area.
Surrounding plants and environment. Trees surrounding the property include eucalyptus, pine, cork, fig and cistus among others. Landscaping around the windmill and cottage has created terraced spaces using the natural rock and plants such as oleander and cactus, which are well adapted to the climate.
Estimate of property size Land included in the property is of about 1000m2. The ground floor space of the windmill is approximately 15m2 with a fitted kitchen counter, fitted wooden seating, sink and small wetroom bathroom consisting of a toilet, sink and shower that hangs over the toilet. The second floor of approximately 15m2 is up a flight of original stone steps leading to a mezzanine with a wooden floor and a wooden outdoor upstairs deck/balcony of a further 10m2. In this space all the original mechanisms of the windmill are still featured.
The ground floor space of the cottage with two separate residences is approximately 100m2 altogether. Both have mezzanine areas and one includes a deck/balcony of approximately 10 m2. Residence A has an L-shaped living area downstairs with a kitchen and living room. Upstairs there is a mezzanine sleeping area to one side and a bathroom to the other. Residence B has a similar L-shaped living area with kitchen and living room and a bathroom downstairs. Upstairs there is a sleeping area and access via walkway to an outside deck/balcony of approximately 10m2 which takes in the panoramic views across the mountains.
There are a further couple of ruined structures on the land, probably originally intended for livestock, of approximately 6 m2 each.
Access requires a 4 -wheel drive car since the road is steep.
Click on each small image to enlarge.